Has your family outgrown the space in your home in Wellington? Do you want to add valuable space to your house in the form of a study room or a TV room? Would you like to have an additional room where your guests can stay? If yes then maybe a room addition is the answer to these problems for you. A room addition is an affordable choice to individuals who cannot buy a new home because of financial constraints. Adding more space to your home not only increases the value of your property, it also results in enhanced comfort and livability. However, it is very important that you carefully plan your room addition project and implement it successfully to ensure that your home improvement journey is hassle-free and profitable.
Major Considerations of Planning a Room Addition
No matter how small your project is, you will be required to design a comprehensive plan for your Wellington room addition project. There are several factors that should be considered in order to make the project successful such as the purpose of additional space, permit requirements, construction costs, flooring and roofing specifications, plumbing and HVAC cost, contractor’s fee, etc.
This guide is intended to help the novice and experts alike who want to add some more space to their homes.
The Purpose of Room Addition
This is probably the most important consideration of the entire room addition process because it dictates your project’s cost, duration, and chances of success. You should determine your need for adding more space to your home. The needs may differ greatly. Some individuals may require the additional room for their grown children; others may just want to increase their property’s value by room addition.
If you have no plans to sell your home anytime soon, you may design the project according to your personal preferences. Otherwise, you will be required to build a space that can attract a large of number of buyers, such as master suites or luxury bathrooms.
Just like any other construction activity, room addition also requires a building permit from the local authorities. Depending on your state’s rules and regulations, you will be required to submit a comprehensive plan to the local authority that includes information on plot plan, construction materials, electrical and plumbing plans, HVAC plan, etc.
Some states may also require the homeowner to obtain engineering and zoning permits. Information about local rules and regulations can be obtained by contacting the local building code enforcement department.
Estimating the Cost of Room Addition
Adding a room to your home is expensive, but it is still very affordable as compared to buying a new property, and it also increases the resale value of your home. The cost of a room addition project varies greatly depending on the size of the room, type of room, level of room addition, construction materials, permit fees, and contractor and architects fees.
Cost of Hiring Contractors
Depending on the complexity of your project, you will be required to hire different professionals such as:
- General Contractors – These professionals are hired for simpler projects like building a room that has only one door opening inside the home. They manage all the aspects of a room addition project such as hiring the laborers and subcontractors, getting permits, and scheduling tasks. General contractors may cost around $30 to $60 per hour.
- Specialty Contractors – These are hired to perform specialized tasks such as installing bathroom fixtures and kitchen cabinets.
- Architect – For more complex projects an architect is required such as a project that requires building a spiral staircase in addition to the room or that involves making intricate changes to the existing design of your home. An architect may charge somewhere around $50 to $150 per hour, which may account for 5 to 20 percent of the total project cost.
- Design/build Contractor – They provide the services of an architect and contractor both, and are usually a more cost-effective option.
Size of the Room
Constructing a large room requires more labor and material, which increases the overall cost of your room addition project.
|Area of the Construction (square feet)||Average Construction Cost|
|200 – 300||$25,000|
|300 – 400||$40,000|
|400 – 500||$55,000|
|500 – 600||$65,000|
|600 – 700||$85,000|
|700 – 800||$90,000|
|800 – 1,000||$110,000|
Level of Room Addition
There are three types of room addition projects depending on the level of room addition. Each type of project incurs different cost, which also depends on the size of the room and foundation type.
- Detached Rooms – Detached rooms are the least expensive of all types of room addition projects, costing an average price of $23,000.
- Ground Level Rooms – Ground level rooms cost an average of $33,000, depending on the foundation and size of construction.
- Second Storey Rooms – This project offers an advantage of adding more space to your home without increasing the footprint of your property, but they are also the most expensive of all project types costing around $46,000.
Building Permit Fees
It is mandatory to obtain a building permit for your room addition project. Failure to acquire a building permit may result in penalties, which can further increase the total cost of your room addition project. Average cost of room addition projects with a proper building permit is $39,000. The cost increases to $45,000 due to fines, suspensions, and construction delays caused by not acquiring a building permit by the local authorities.
Type of Room Addition
Different types of rooms have different electrical, plumbing, and HVAC requirements, which affect the overall cost of a room addition project. The following table presents the average cost of a room addition project for different room types.
|Type of Room||Average Project Cost|
|Living room and family rooms||$40,000|
Planning s Successful Room Addition Project
Adding new room addition in Wellington to your house is a huge decision, which requires comprehensive planning and thought process. There are several factors to consider that may affect the overall cost and duration of your room addition project. Discussing your room addition project with a professional Wellington building contractor or architect can help you plan the process in a better way and reduce the overall cost and complexity of your project.