Builder Fraud – When selecting a home professional, using a few guidelines can help protect you from fraudulent contractors. These warning signs indicate a contractor who may be running a scam:
- Does not list a number in the phone book.
- Asks you to get required building permits.
- Only accepts cash.
- Solicits door-to-door.
- Says you will get a discount if you find other customers for that contractor.
- Says your job will be a demonstration.
- Offers exceptionally long guarantees.
- Asks you to pay for the entire job up front.
- Tries to scare you into signing for repairs claiming they are urgent.
Always read and understand every word of a contract before signing. If you don’t understand something, ask for clarification.